In 1917, a group of businessmen and golf enthusiasts joined together and created Garrett Country Club. Golf course architect Tom Bendelow of Chicago was hired to design the new course. Mr. Bendelow designed many courses during that period, including Medinah Country Club in Chicago, Illinois. Medinah has hosted the U.S. Open on three different occasions, most recently the Ryder Cup in 2012.
From 1917 to 1940, Garrett Country Club was operated as a private club run by the local shareholders. In 1940, the club was purchased by the Garrett Elks who operated it for just two years.
Harvey Schmidt purchased the course in 1943 and ran the facility for 15 years. In 1959, Schmidt sold the course to Dale Zolman who took over operations until 1974. In 1975, Richard and Sandra Sholl purchased the nine hole golf course and remained owners for 29 years. Expansion of the course began in the spring of 1995 with the purchase of 84 additional acres. The expanded 18 hole par 72 public golf course opened in 1996.
Current owners, Dave & Amy Demske, came on board with the Sholls’ during the 2003 golf season and assumed operations in January 2004. In the last ten years, several projects have been implemented to improve drainage and turf quality, along with several hundred trees being planted. The addition of a 40X40 deck and scoreboard highlight activities held at the club. The deck and scoreboard addition have enhanced versatility to outing options.
In 2013, we added character to our course with two wood carvings. Stop by for a round of golf to meet our new additions!